Interactive Timeline of Colorado Ceasefire Accomplishments
Six new gun reforms enacted:
- Safe Storage
- Reporting of Lost and Stolen Guns
- Domestic Violence Relinquishment Enhancements
- Expanded Background Checks
- Local Regulations of Firearms
- Office of Gun Violence Prevention
- ERPO passed by House (38-25) and Senate (18-17). Governor signed into law.
- Initiated Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPO) bill. Passed house 37-23. Failed in Senate.
- Election: 90% of PAC monies went to winning candidates in game changer election.
- Formed 501(c)3 Colorado Ceasefire Outreach.
- Held forum on Extreme Risk Protection Orders with Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence and Mental Health Colorado primarily for law enforcement, prosecutors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and other therapists.
- Five new gun regulations enacted:
- Universal Background Checks
- Gun buyer pays for the Background Check (instead of taxpayer)
- Ban on High Capacity Magazines
- Domestic Violence Surrender of Firearms
- In-person training required for CCW permit
- Successfully worked for defeat of 9 bad bills.
- Worked tirelessly against the recalls. Two senators recalled, another resigned over bills.
- Election: 97% of political committee contributions went to winning candidates.
- Mailer for John Buckner – ousted Republican incumbent with 54% of votes.
- Convened meeting of gun violence prevention advocates 4 days after Aurora shooting.
- Stakeholders monthly meetings (Ceasefire lobbyist initiated)– consensus set of bills 12/14
- Repealed the Sunset on “Deny on Arrest” provision in CBI Background Checks
- Tightened reciprocity rules on CCW permits
- Successfully worked to defeat NRA lobbyist running for HD1 – powerful door-to-door leafletting.
- Concealed Carry shall-issue enacted
- Preemption enacted (Denver sued and won a partial overturn.)
- Formed 501(c)4 arm for advocacy at the capitol.
- Law enacted to require clerks of courts to transfer information on adjudicated mentally ill to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
- NRA fought it.
- General Assembly defeats bill to Close the Gun Show Loophole.
- SAFE Colorado takes initiative to Close the Gun Show Loophole to the voters …wins 70%-30%
- Colorado Ceasefire forms as a Political Action Committee (originally called Colorado GAP) to
unseat those legislators responsible for defeating common sense gun laws.
- Ceasefire had a hand in turning 6 seats at the legislature. First Democratic Senate in 40 years.
Some of the bad bills we have defeated (many of these come up year after year)
- Stand Your Ground (business)
- Allowing people without permits to carry a concealed weapon
- Guns in Schools
- Arm Felons
- Allow people with CCW permits to skip Background Checks for gun transfers
- Repeal of High-Capacity Magazine Ban of 2013
- Repeal of Universal Background Checks
- Ease process for Machine Gun and Silencer Certificates